Monday 15 August 2011

Harry Potter... Come to Die...

  I was not a Harry Potter fan. I hardly knew about the character. I knew that Harry Potter was famous, but didn't even know a bit about the story line. My assumed story was that Harry Potter was a problematic student in a magical school and was in love with his classmate Ema Watson. And of-course he has a friend who supports his love and stuffs. I had seen a few bits of the Harry Potter episodes when broadcasted on POGO and cartoon networks, because I was attracted by some classy special effects. But never really expected it was really based on some interesting storyline, until I saw the last episode "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2".


  As the release date of the last series got closer, I could feel the fever getting spread among some of my friends who were serious Harry Potter fans. One of them somehow convinced me to accompany him to the theater to watch the same. The main reason I agreed to watch the movie was the fact that it was the last episode in the whole Harry Potter series. I was glad that at last this movie could end. But the challenge here is I haven't seen the older episodes or the Part I of the Deathly Hallows. So I knew there was no way I could guess the storyline from the last episode, even if it is in 3D. I wish not to walk out of the theater in the middle, just in case if it was not interesting, because I couldn't understand the movie. So as a precaution I tried to get a glimpse of the storyline through Wikipedia and got an overall Idea. In fact I have also read the plot of the last part fully. To be honest, more than twice. But the beauty was I couldn't understand the point or the role of the different characters in the last episode even after knowing the climax plot. Bumbledoor.. Shape.. Heroine.. sorry Hermoine etc. The most shocking news for me was that Ema Watson was not Harry Potter's pair, but that of his friend Ron. What a disaster! Anyway I was curious to see what that nose-less Villain with his magical powers can do. So I started making up my mind for witnessing the end of the franchise.

  Finally, we were at the theater 30 mins before the show. I could see all the Harry Potter fans in queue, very eager to watch their hero in final action. Some of them even bought their Harry Potter books with them and were revising the same before the show. So I slowly began to realize anything that I might say funny about the characters might issue invite for my own trouble. So just pretended to be a Harry Potter fan myself. The person who accompanied me to the show was so worried that I might not understand the scenes. No matter how many times I told him that I had already read the plot. The movie started at last. It was in 3D and I determined to enjoy each and every scenes. I may not know the story or characters, but I am not blind or fool. I can enjoy the 3D effects. So thats how I convinced myself. 

  The only disturbing fact was my friend. he wouldn't stop whispering to me in my ears, about the significance of the scenes and his knowledge of Harry Potter series. I just cut my hearing channels from his nuisance and focused the same on the movie. The more I saw the more I got into the movie. All the plots that I had learned from Wikipedia had then found its meanings. I felt like I was almost inside the Harry Potter world for a moment. Most surprisingly, I began to realize that the fan inside me was also slowly rising up. 

  The weird stuff in the movie was the public responses to some normal scenes. For instance, in one of the scene a Lady Headmaster in Harry Potter's wizards school would spell the name of the Villain as "Voldermart". Suddenly the whole crowd started to applaud in excitement. I couldn't get the fun in that, not even a bit. So I just tuned my channels back to my friends never ending whisper and learned that nobody in that plot will dare to say Voldermart's name, except Harry Potter. Then I understood that the reason why there were some weird conversations such as "you know Who?" etc.. in the movie whenever someone tried to address Lord Voldermart. The second disturbing fact was the climax. When Harry Potter takes possession of the elder wand, he simply broke it into halves and throw them over the bridge, without even giving a reason for his decision. At least in the Wikipedia it was narrated that Harry Potter would destroy the wand, since he believed that no such powerful stuffs should exist. Come on, Whats the point? After all Harry Potter fought all the 8 episodes in a wizard school to finally go without any powers? That was unacceptable at that time, though it could be the only possible climax.

  Anyway as an overall experience the movie was fantastic and I really enjoyed each and every scene it in. Though it was a Sci-fi story, the logic and screenplay were undeniable. At least when compared to some of the meaningless movies like Transformers the Dark of the Moon.  Now my collection starts for the previous episodes of the Potter franchise. And I wouldn't miss any channel that will broadcast even Harry Potter scenes or trailers. I wonder this is how Harry Potter fans are born.

  Last but not least. Here is one of my favorite wordings from the Deathly Hallows Part II movie.

"Harry Potter, the boy who lived… come to die

Avada Kedavra!"


No comments:

Post a Comment